Sunday 30 January 2011

Burns Night in The UK

As I was due to be in the UK this week, I gladly accepted an invitation from my dad to attend a Burns night celebration with the local Rotary Club.

So, on Wednesday evening my sister and I dressed up and enjoyed the opportunity to put our glad rags on. It had been a while and I had been a bit worried that after the excesses of food and alcohol over the last month that I would look like a tube of squeezed toothpaste in my dress. I need not have worried as the results of an hour or more of hair straigtening, make up application and leg shaving, we were both ready and our efforts were rewarded by the comments my dad bestowed on us as well as others at the event.

This was my second time at a burns night supper and as always is quite a formal affair. The haggis was expertly piped in to the room and with a customary Burns poem was cut open in front of the waiting guests. A 4 course meal ensued with wine and much frivolity. The menu was typically scottish and consisted of salmon, followed by haggis, neeps (turnips) and tatties (potatoes), then followed by lamb tenderloin rolled in scottish oats with roast vegetables followed by a very rich but tasty white chocolate creme brulee over a bed of raspberries, yum!

After the speaches for the lassies and the laddies there was a short dance followed by olde lang syne and we departed at 11pm. If you like traditional evenings, put Burns night on your list for next January 26th!

No comments:

Post a Comment