Tuesday 27 July 2010

Fruit picking in Gascony








I must say, it was a bit of a shock to the system getting up early this morning, but Megan my oldest daughter has just got a summer job fruit picking at the local farm. Unfortunately, she speaks no French just yet so is a bit worried.

We arrived at the farm yard bright and early, to be met with a mini bus full of locals and Polish workers chomping at the bit ready to get going. Within minutes they had dissappeared off into the distance along the country lane towards the orchards with their ruck sacks of provisions for the day and ladders.

This week she is picking plums or apricots, but next week it could be melon, peaches or nectarines. The grapes are not quite ready yet, which she is pleased about, as she had the preception that she would have to take her shoes off and get into a vat to squash them, not nice with her feet!!

We will see how long she lasts in the heat, I predict a few days, and I am sure the seasoned workers have taken bets too!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Allison

    I found your blog by accident and must say you are doing a wonderful job and the photos are gorgeous. You sound as if you have really thrown yourself into the French way of life and I am so envious! Your gite looks fantastic!

    Keep it up!

    Natalie (ex Virgin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allison,

    My name is Ricardo Lima, spanish, and I want to spend this summer 2011 fruit picking anywhere in France. July and August. Could you please tell me where to go in Gascony during the first week of july. Which farms are hiring at the time? or where your were during july 2010. Then August I guess once I am in the area I will find out where to go.
    Also I don't speak french, I am hoping to learn some there as well.

    My email is ricardop.limarios@gmail.com

    I know is a long shot, but any information you can give would be very helpful.

    Take care

    I hope you answer

    Ricardo Lima

    ReplyDelete